Many victims of personal injury attempt to resolve the matter with the insurance company immediately after an accident. This can be costly because insurance adjusters are hired to minimize the payouts on claims. Moreover, many injuries do not even manifest until weeks or months after an accident. To learn more about your rights following an accident, it is important to contact experienced Denver personal injury lawyers. As a primer, however, we would like to offer the following mistakes to avoid after an accident:
- Failing to Obtain Medical Care Quickly: Many accident victims think they can shake it off after a crash. This is especially true in minor impact collisions. It is important to remember that many serious injuries, especially to the structures of the back and neck, might not be apparent right away. Insurance companies love the argument that a person was not injured because they did not seek medical attention right away.
- Failing to Call the Police: There is never a good reason not to contact the police. Moreover, it is against the law in Colorado not to call the police when a collision involves injuries. Sometimes, the negligent party will plead not to report the accident but turn around and provide false information to their insurance company.
- Signing a Written Statement: Putting anything in writing following an accident is a terrible idea. This applies both to the victim’s insurance and the at-fault driver’s insurance.
- Admitting Fault: Never accept responsibility until it is absolutely clear what happened. Victims of personal injury should allow an opportunity for police to investigate the scene of an accident.
- Apologizing: Saying sorry after an accident can be used against a victim as a statement of fault.
- Turning Down an Ambulance: If injured, no matter how minor, a victim should be examined and treated.
- Hiding Prior Accidents or Medical History: Insurance companies maintain huge databases of information. As personal injury lawyers, we do not have that luxury. Nor do your medical providers. If a victim fails to inform, or worse, misrepresent their history, all credibility will be lost. We need to know everything about your case to succeed. If we know the bad facts that may hurt recovery, we can determine how best to deal with them and present the information in the most favorable light or at least minimize the damage.
- Exaggerating Injuries: Pain and suffering can be the biggest element of damages. Complaining about or pretending to be worse than you really are is a serious mistake. Insurance companies will not be fooled.
- Failing to Return to Work When Able: Most victims return to work sooner than they should because of bills. If a doctor advised a patient to take time off of work, they should. Lost wages can be recouped at the end of the case.
- Accepting an Insurance Company Settlement: Keep in mind at all times, the insurance company is a for-profit business. The adjuster will make a very low settlement offer.
Too often, a victim makes poor decisions due to the emotional stress and interruption it creates in their lives. By acting too quickly, they lose sight of the full picture and walk away without being sufficiently compensated. An experienced Denver personal injury lawyer can be instrumental, especially from the start. The attorneys at Bowman & Chamberlain, LLC, have handled many Denver car accidents. In the event you or someone you love has been injured in a Denver car accident, contact our Denver personal injury attorneys today by calling us at 720.863.6904 or feel free to email us to schedule your free consultation.
Our lawyers handle a wide range of cases, including Car Accidents, Bicycle Accidents, Bike Accidents, Motorcycle Collisions, Pedestrian Accidents, Slip and Fall Accidents, Dog Bite Accidents, and any other form of personal injury in Arvada, Aurora, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Commerce City, Lakewood, Littleton, Thornton, Westminster, Wheat Ridge, and other parts of metropolitan Denver, Colorado.
Owner and Managing Attorney
Jerry Bowman, J.D., M.A., Owner and managing attorney of Bowman Law LLC, takes his responsibility to the legal profession seriously and dedicates his time and effort to providing quality and competent legal representation to clients in Denver and throughout all of Colorado. He holds an MA in Political Science from Wayne State University and earned his law degree in two and a half years from Michigan State University College of Law.