Colorado has the highest elevation of any state, causing winter to come early and stay late. The Denver car crash lawyers at Bowman & Chamberlain, LLC, enjoy posting info relating to the dangers of winter driving. We continue our discussion regarding accidents with new info on how to survive if you get stuck in snow.
Stuck in Snow
There is no way around it. People in Colorado get stuck in the snow. Not knowing what to do (or doing the wrong thing) can be very dangerous, if not deadly. Here are the best solutions to set your car free if you get stuck in snow:
- Keep a shovel and bag of sand or salt in your trunk. Use the shovel to dig out snow from around your tired, then sprinkle sand or salt in front of them to create traction;
- Try to slowly ease out of the spot without spinning the wheels (accelerating hard will usually just dig deeper ruts);
- If your wheel spins, stop immediately and let your tires cool before starting again;
- Try rocking our vehicle. To do this, shift to second or low gear (automatic transmission) and move forward. When your car cannot go any further, take your foot off the accelerator and as the cars rolls back, accelerate slightly. Repeating these steps rapidly can often free your car (but be careful to use gentle acceleration to avoid getting stuck further;
- Make sure you always travel with an Auto Emergency Kit (especially in cold weather regions) and hats, gloves, and outwear;
- If all else fails, call a tow truck or use the distress signals in your Auto Emergency Kit to flag down help.
Contact Our Denver Car Accident Lawyers
For more tips regarding Colorado winter car accidents, contact our Denver car accident lawyers. We have attorneys standing by. Call us at 720.863.6904 or email us for your free consultation. Our lawyers handle a wide range of cases, including Car Accidents, Bicycle Accidents, Bike Accidents, Motorcycle Collisions, Pedestrian Accidents, Slip and Fall Accidents, Dog Bite Accidents, and any other form of personal injury in Arvada, Aurora, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Commerce City, Lakewood, Littleton, Thornton, Westminster, Wheat Ridge, and other parts of metropolitan Denver, Colorado.